Tuesday, November 1, 2011

ACEO Flower No. 18 - Work in Progress

I thought I'd share progress scans of the 18th entry into the ACEO flower drawing series. The 13th rose in the line up. I forgot to scan it in the outline stage, but anyway here is the first stage.

Since the time I've started drawing seriously, roughly about eight years ago, my sister, artist Faith and I have gathered quite a handful of artist's pencils in a
variety of grades and brands - from 6H, the hardest to 8B, the softest. Despite all these drawing instruments, I often times use only two 0.5 mm mechanical pencils
loaded with different brands of 2B leads (one creates darker tones similar to an 8B grade pencil), graphite powder shaved from soft pencils like Faber-Castell's 8B and a variety of brushes for blending and applying tones.

A favorite tool of mine is an empty marker pen which, other than to blend, I use to apply graphite or charcoal powder on the smallest areas or edges that needs to have darker tones, like in this drawing, the inside petals.

No comments: