Sunday, February 20, 2011

Introduction: Still Life Challenge #1

You might be familiar with painter Karin Jurick's blog, "Different Strokes from Different Folks" where she hosts painting/drawing challenges. In 2009, I had the pleasure of joining one of her challenges called "Portrait Swap Challenge" in which artists were paired off to paint/draw each other. Anyway, I thought I'd start a similar take on Ms. Jurick's challenges. Here it goes:

I would give rough, descriptive words on still life composition/arrangement, then you may either use photographs or set up your props and paint from life. This way, there will be a lot of room to use our creativity. You may use any medium (not including computers) you wish - graphite, charcoal, pen and ink, conte, pastel, oil, etc. Maybe I will post a challenge, say every other week or until the line of celebrity portraits waiting to be featured in 'spotlight' gets too short.  Here's the first one:


A cup or mug of beverage set with a rose
and a teaspoon at its base

 "Afternoon Tea"
Graphite pencil drawing by Sherry Bevins
6 x 4"


To email me your paintings/drawings, attach a clear image of your work in jpg format with your full name and send them to this address - artistdavidte@gmail.com. Also, please put 'still life challenge' on the subject bar, so I will know right away that the email is regarding the challenge. If you have a website or blog featuring your work, you may also include them in your submission. The challenge has no deadline, so feel free to send your artworks anytime.

I know the title of my blog says "Pencil Drawings of Celebrities", but over the past couple of years since I started turning out still life drawings, I've grown to love them also. I'll change it as soon as I think of a title to replace it. Anyway, if you have any suggestion regarding the challenge, don't hesitate to email me at the above address.

Meanwhile, have fun with the challenge.

No comments: