Sunday, January 23, 2011

Portrait of Ann-Margret

Our celebrity spotlight this week shines on.... Ann-Margret.

                                     8 x 10 inches (20 x 25 cm)
                                  Graphite pencil on Canson Grain
                                              
This is the first time I used a color photograph as a reference for a pencil drawing. I usually work with black and white printouts from the computer. There is something about black and white photography that I find fascinating. Maybe it's the drama of light depicted in black, gray and white. Having watched classical old movies may have given me a keen eye for black and white photos. Back to our featured celebrity portrait. It was done in 2009 but I managed to make some progress shots of the portrait which I'd like to share. I'll post them here maybe next week or as soon as I have prepared them.

                                         (Image is from Doctormacro)
                 On the set of 'Viva Las Vegas' with, of course, Elvis Presley

Here's a little about this week's featured celebrity. Ann-Margret is a Swedish-American actress who became popular in the 60's. In one of my favorite movies, 'Viva Las Vegas', she played a swimming instructor who initially doesn't want the advances of our hero. She appeared in other films like 'Bye Bye Birdie' and a remake of Rogers and Hammerstein's musical, 'State Fair' with Pat Boone and Bobby Darin.

That's it for now. I hope you enjoyed the post and will tune in again next week.

No comments: